Do you live, work, or play in the Northern Yosemite and Central Sierra region?
Do you care about the environment and threats facing the local places you love?
Then we have the news for you!
We make sure to keep readers up to date about current issues affecting many different aspects of the local environment, such as wildlife, wild places, meadows, forests, rivers and watersheds. You can also stay up to date on seasonal information like where the wildflowers are blooming, and where to go to see local wildlife or scenic vistas.
Whether you read an article from our newsletter, a director’s report or a blog, you will find local, timely news related to the beautiful environment here in the Central Sierra and northern Yosemite region.
- We had a nice little break from volunteer workdays there in July, but now we’ve got an all-day project coming up on Saturday, August 5th. …
CSERC’s water quality sampling is pivotally important to understanding how polluted water is in the local national forest and in foothill streamsThe clear water in the forest stream looks attractive and healthy as the stream falls over rock ledges and winds its …
Needed repairs of key valves in the Cherry Lake dam will require the reservoir to be drained down to a minimum pool by end of summerWith many reservoirs receiving their highest flows of snowmelt in decades, it isn’t an ideal time to drain a giant reservoir before the rainy season …
Modesto Bee Guest Opinion: Yosemite so crowded you can’t stop; but park will take your money at the gateCSERC's executive director recently visited Yosemite Valley on a busy Saturday to see just how congested the Park might be under busy summer conditions. …
- Sit back, close your eyes and picture a butterfly. What did you see? Here's an image... It's a warm June day, the songbirds are singing, grass blades …
Don’t miss out on the latest news about environmental issues in the northern Yosemite and central Sierra: Sign up to receive our quarterly print newsletter by mail here ! The newsletters feature color photographs and articles covering local environmental issues and celebrating the beauty of the region.
Newest publication: Spring 2017
Or, go to our Newsletter Archives
Archived articles outside of CSERC's website
- 1/15/14: Oldest trees are growing faster, storing more carbon as they age, study reports
- 1/12/14: The Rim Fire, its recovery, and the debate (Opinion piece featuring CSERC in the Sacramento Bee)
- 12/27/13: Yosemite Fire debate over harvesting burned trees (San Francisco Chronicle)
- 7/6/11: Sierra Nevada Forest Imagery Interactive: Amazing aerial map showing the extent of clear-cuts throughout our region.
- 7/22/11: 'Suction Dredging is Bad for Fish' a blog by Dr. Peter Moyle.