- Conservation groups involved in the Northern Yosemite region
- Recreation locations and outfitters
- Local environmental education organizations and activities
- Links for sustainable resources in the Sierra Nevada
Click on the categories listed below or scroll down to see more.
Working to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds and other wildlife for the benefit of humanity
— The local chapter of the Audubon Society.
— A local organization based in Calaveras County working to promote responsible, sustainable timber harvest practices through public education, legal action, and coordination with other conservation groups.
— Invests in cutting-edge grassroots organizations and innovative conservation efforts that meet emerging needs for protecting biodiversity and wilderness.
— dedicated to educating its members and the general public about issues affecting hikers in the High Sierra.
— Promoting responsible growth and development through public participation in community planning in order to preserve the quality of rural life in the greater Valley Springs area.
— Founded by John Muir, the Sierra Club has been working to protect communities, wild places, and the planet itself since 1892.
— Since 1935, The Wilderness Society has led the conservation movement in wilderness protection, writing and passing the landmark Wilderness Act and winning lasting protection for 109 million acres of Wilderness.
— The local chapter of the Sierra Club.
Works to protect California's native plant heritage and preserve it for future generations.
— Dedicated to protecting and restoring California's wild places and native biodiversity on a statewide level.
— Earthjustice is a non-profit public interest law firm dedicated to protecting the magnificent places, natural resources, and wildlife of this earth. We've provided legal representation at no cost to more than 700 clients.
— Working to protect, restore, & sustain the natural and human environment in Amador and Calaveras counties for the benefit of current & future generations.
— Provides small grants to small groups who get things done.
— Informing the public and decision makers about responsible government, land use and environmental issues so that the best choices can be made for a sustainable high quality of life for Mariposans as change comes to our community.
— A foundation whose mission is to to honor and provide financial support to small, grassroots conservation groups with a local focus and an activist agenda.
— Working to engage citizens, communities, and coalition members in the healthy management of Sierra Nevada forest ecosystems to protect and restore the region's unparalleled beauty and natural values
— Promotes stewardship of the Tuolumne through education, collaboration, restoration, and advocacy.
Local Recreation Locations, Outfitters, and Guides
- A unique combination of retail store, photo gallery, coffeehouse, plant nursery, and gardens located in Groveland, California. Be sure to check out their summer lineup of concerts!
- Working to provide customers with high quality, innovative outdoor products. With store locations in Arnold, Murphys, and Sonora.
- Where to find various recreational opportunities within the Stanislaus Forest, including the Emigrant and Carson-Iceberg Wilderness.
- Yosemite recreation suggestions provided by the Park Service.
- Giant sequoia grove with miles of hiking trails, located in Calaveras County.
- Specializing in Class IV whitewater rafting trips in California on the Tuolumne River.
- California whitewater trips on the Kings, Tuolumne, Merced, and American rivers, all near Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks.
- Custom Hiking Tours, Photography Workshops, and Family Activities are available to Individuals and Groups of all ages and experience levels in every season in Yosemite National Park.
Environmental Education Opportunities and Activities
- Working to link all educators to Environmental Education activities and resources throughout California. Together we can teach all Californians to care for our planet.
- Is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt foundation dedicated to providing science and natural history information to adults and children of all ages through classes, programs, and exhibits. Located in Modesto, California.
- An independent, regional media project that features the stories and voices of Californians from the Sierra Nevada. Find out how we can all take part in preserving the culture, economy, and environment of rural America.
- Provides in an outdoor setting, a science-based educational experience in which one learns to respect one's self, others, and the environment.
- A link to the Me-Wuk tribe's website. Includes information on history, culture, and events.
- inspiring people to explore, learn, share, and preserve the values of the John Muir legacy through innovative and creative programs. Based in Mariposa county.
- An exceptional setting for outdoor education. Their 143 acre campus is located within an oak woodland that includes six species of oaks, large pines, and stands of beautiful manzanita.
- Provides a unique opportunity for California and out-of-state students to study at a location with both natural beauty and ecological diversity. Facility is located at Sonora Pass.
- Find out the dates and locations for the Wild and Scenic Film Festival (hosted by Ebbetts Pass Forest Watch).
Local Links for Sustainable Resources
- Over 90 trained Master Gardeners answer your gardening and landscaping questions and host a number of activities including the annual Garden Tour and provide free classes at our Demonstration Garden.
- This is a local food distribution network of eaters, growers and makers serving Calaveras and Tuolumne counties. Outer Aisle Foods provides quality, local, seasonal and regional produce and products only from farms and producers who are committed to ecologically sustainable practices and go beyond the “Organic” requirements.
- A non-profit organization that educates groups and individuals about sustainable living and community self-reliance. Promoting collaborative relationships to achieve mutual well-being in Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties.
- Your source for locally grown and produced food. Includes information on local Farmers Market locations and schedules.